• *資料列印
  • |觀看次數 53
  • Plurk分享 facebook分享

Landscape

Tile with Scratch Finish

Posted on 2014/05/12|

The tiles with scratch finish on the outer walls of Hayashi Department Store are frequently used around the 1920s during the Japanese Occupation. The production in Taiwan is mostly in factories in Beitou. These tiles are known in Japan as "Scratch Tiles".
On the surface of the tiles, many scratches can be found. The most common ones are those with 13 scratches, so it is frequent to hear them mentioned as "the 13-scratch tiles". Besides of them, there are tiles with 7, 9 or even more than 20 scratches, or those found on the outer wall of Hayashi Department Store, with irregular scratches.

 

Shintoist Shrine at the Top Floor

Posted on 2014/05/12|

The Shintoist shrine on the top floor of Hayashi Department Store was not installed when the store opened in 1932. The shrine was called ¨Suehiro Shrine¨, and was dedicated to the Patron God of the store. The shrine was completed half year after the opening, and when it was finished in May 12th, 1933, a banquet was held. It was not open to the public and it is the only top floor shrine in a store left in Taiwan.

 

Marks of the WWII

Posted on 2014/05/12|

During the Pacific Wars in WWII, Taiwan was bombed by American's air raid. On March 1st, 1945, the Allied Forces conducted the biggest air raid to Tainan in Taiwan's history, bombing massively around Honcchou (Now Minquan Road) and Suehirochou (Now Zhongzheng Road).
The roof and part of the floors were destroyed and government agencies nearby such like Tainan Prefecture Office suffered severe damage.
The marks and bullet holes left on the façade of Hayashi Department Store were already repaired during the restoration, but on the top floor visitors can still see the evidence of that ferocious attack.

 

Top Floor Elevator Shaft

Posted on 2014/05/12|

Located on the sixth floor as a hexagonal observatory, and standing out from the Shintoist shrine next to it, the original elevator shaft and mechanical room was connected to the shrine by a arch bridge.
The interior and operation of the elevator can be observed from the shaft. In the 1930s, the visitor could see as far as the Tainan Canal and Anping seaside as well.

 

Color Floor

Posted on 2014/05/12|

There are two kinds of color floor in Hayashi Department Store: a hard and smooth terrazo floor, and a soft, more flexible floor. Both are terrazo floors of gray and orange color made with traditional methods, resistant to time and fire.
They contains wood chips and synthetic resin, and were technologically very advanced at that time, which gave more historical importance to the architectural structure.

 

Windows

Posted on 2014/05/12|

There were wide windows on all the façades of Hayashi Department Store for a view of the streets.
At the corner there was round windows as a variation. Since the department store was one of the highest buildings in the area, the fifth floor was used as a restaurant, and a big hectagonal window was opened on the west side of the building, which was facing the Tainan Canal and Anping seaside, so to allow visitors to appreciate the sunset far away.
It was the most popular place among the intellectuals in the 1930s, and the writer Yeh Shih-Tao wrote about it too.

 

Elevator with Floor Indicator Dial

Posted on 2014/05/12|

What made Hayashi Department Store famous at that time was the elevator in the store. It was one of the first places in southern Taiwan that had a modern elevator. It was operated by elevator girls.For people in Tainan the elevator was both a curiosity as well as fashionable attraction.

The original elevator can take 12 persons at maximum. As to preserve the original mechanical tracks structure, now the elevator is rebuilt to a smaller size, to hold 6 persons in maximum.

The walls are transparent and visitors can enjoy the view when taking the elevator. There is a round window for illumination at elevator shaft on each floor.

 

Hand-activated roller door

Posted on 2014/05/12|

The hand-activated roller door can be seen as one of the most advanced anti-burglary devices at that time.
The hand-activated roller door is controlled manually through cast-iron timing belt, and there are three of them in the store.
In the lobby of first floor, part of this installation can be seen.