• *Print
  • |Clicked 128923
  • Plurk分享 facebook分享


posted 2014/4/15 下午 03:02:03

In 1924, the architect Ide Kaoru, a graduate of Architecture Department of Tokyo Imperial University, became the Section Chief of Section of Construction and Maintenance in Taiwan Governor-General Palace. He started to promote modern architecture in Taiwan. Affected by international trends of the time as well as the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1923, reinforced concrete architectures were getting more attentions and quickly became the trend of the day.
Hayashi Department Store is the largest building in Suehirochou "Association of Stores and Residences" (Tennpojyutakusokuseikai) houses. It was six-storey tall, and the ground-breaking ceremony was held on August 30, 1931, The construction started on December 14. Designed by the local architect and Director of Tainan Section of Taiwan Construction Association, Umezawa Sutejirou (Another of his works is the old Tainan Police Station, now declared a cultural site) and constructed by Tamura Sakutarou, it was completed within a year.
The Modernist architecture was just taking off at that time, and full-exposed concrete was not well-accepted, so exposed-aggregate finish by washing or tiles were used to imitate stone or brick finish. Hayashi Department Store used these two kinds of finishes on its façades at the same time. The interior was modern and eye-catching at that time, with an elevator and hand-activated roller door, which were both very rare at that time. At the terrace on the top of the building, the Shintoist Suehiro Shrine that the Department Store set up in 1933 is well-preserved and can still be found there today.

The vending outlay for every floor is as following:

First Floor: Selling tobacco, alcohol, cosmetics, candies and cookies from Japan and other countries, and small everyday products.
Second floor: Selling imported goods, children clothing, bedding, etc
Third Floor: Selling textiles and clothing.
Fourth floor: Selling bowls, dishes and cutlery, toys, stationary, clock and watches.
Fifth floor: Japanese-style Western food and cafés serving tea and coffee.
Top Floor (Sixth floor) Mechanical Room and Observatory. There is a small garden and the Shintoist Suehiro Shrine, built in 1933.